Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Hail back to 1997


1997 was a very cool year for me. I had left the ugly greasy world of sales behind and went to art school. This was something I wrote about my year at art school:
Art school validated me. I found my people. I was immersed in art, around art and doing art. I was free and life was good. This was the year I had glorious dreams of flying - the most liberating exhilarating feeling in the whole world. I would fly to see my sister in Christchurch. I flew to London. I created an image of my flying in one of my art projects. Such was my bliss that year.
Glittering days, glittering memories. Artist friends and artist teachers. Weird and wonderful and interesting and warm and expressive, intelligent people. And I was one of them.
Cycling along the orchards in glittering sunshine to the workshops where days were spent with music playing, people in their zones, free for all food in the kitchen, craft, colour and design and clever pieces of brilliance were made each day.
Picnic lunches in the sun, admiring friends, passionate people.
Wineries and cafes, lunches and dinners, art galleries, pubs, poets, music and beauty everywhere in sparking, glittering Hawke's Bay.

2 comments:

  1. The other part of my picture is, unfortunately, the dreams that weren't so good. Where I would feel trapped and suffocating. Luckily these were few and far between and mostly relating to a bad nights sleep, maybe after too much drink or being too hot in Hawke's Bay me thinks!

    ReplyDelete