Struggling with oil painting. I missed two art classes because I was sick (worst case of flu I have had in a long time - I think it might have been swine flu). So I took my canvas of Seth to work on and spent the night trying to paint the fabric around him...disaster. Mary insists that we work from dark to light. Painting in the darkest bits first, then the mid tones then the light. I couldn't get my head around this and attempted instead to do a light background then work my shadows and shades into it. It just didnt work. I should have listened. Now I need to wait til this layer dries then start again.
Mary's parting comment was that I am a 'good drawer' (nice to hear) but I need to work on the painting side of things. Next term she is going to dedicate a class to painting fabric. I will listen carefully this time and follow her advice.
In the meantime if anyone can enlighten me on tips for oil painting and explain the dark to light theory, that would be great:-)
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I tend to paint dark to light too I thnk. Especially with colours, I will start with black and then work colours over it. But I think you are a good painter. I was quite impressed with your Seth painting
ReplyDeleteThanks LJ :-)
ReplyDelete