One of them was out buying cards and found this one which made her think of me. She bought the card for me which was very sweet of her (scuse the pun).

This got me thinking today about my cupcake idea a bit more and about one of the big questions in life, ‘what is art?’
I have felt pressure in the past, to consider art as something that is not necessarily nice to look at, that has to have significant meaning and must evoke an emotional response. i.e., true art is a visual depiction of personal expression.
And a true artist is someone whose primary purpose in life is to produce true art, the need to do so taking priority before people, places, things and even personal needs.
These ideas always conflicted with the idea of art being decorative and my preference for decorative reasons behind any other for owning art.
At home I own many pieces of art, many by people I know. Most of these were done by my Dad. Dad, like me, loves to paint. Most of his pictures have been of scenery from photos of places he has visited. Since retiring, he has been ‘challenged’ to seek other subject matter and techniques but his primary love is scenery.
Knowing the person behind an artwork makes a piece particularly meaningful to me but none of the works on my walls would be there if I didn’t love the aesthetics of them. At some point between those pressure filled days, and now, I have come to believe that the answer to the ‘what is art’ question is, ‘whatever you consider to be art’. And an artist is someone who considers themselves as an artist.
There is no definitive answer and there is no right or wrong opinion. Such is what makes art so arty.
So considering my cupcake idea, I have coined the term ‘Meaningless Art For Purely Aesthetic Reasons’ (MAFPAR). I think that creating a series of meaningless art of cupcakes will be fun and will (hopefully) look wonderful. I can see these palette knife creations in my head - scrumptious I am thinking. Tangible thick smears of deliciously smooth, velvet, hues of paint to represent sweet succulent icing. I can see them on my wall and reproduced for the world at large on sale on my website
But is it art?
Yes, of course it is art.
Because I say it is art, there for it is.
Hey Toni... thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, it is good to get in contact again.
ReplyDeleteHa, ha, I am smiling at those cupcakes, cheers Marie
ReplyDeleteThanks to both of you. How exciting to see 'comments' under my post!
ReplyDeleteI wouldnt want those on my walls because they sound tooo scrumptous. They'd have my mouth watering. But it sounds like a great idea none-the-less. I really love texturous art. And I agree that art is what you think it is, simply because as an artist you have to have confidence in yourself to achieve anything. The best artists are those who push boundaries and explore their own unique point of view and thus are faced with people telling them daily what they are doing is wrong.
ReplyDelete