Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Alla-Prima



We were given one hour to complete a monochrome painting 'alla-prima' (at first). Wet on wet, one session. Apparently Van Gough painted his master pieces Alla-Prima and since there was no layering, his paintings never cracked and still look freshly painted today! This was the first painting I had done since my painting of Seth and I didn't much like the end result. I thought that the background was too dark or maybe the rest of it wasnt dark enough. I had a go at lightening the background (that being easier and quicker than trying to darken up everything else) but wasn't sorry when Mary instructed us to make a print of it onto some newsprint and then scrape off the excess paint with our spatulars, thereby rendering the canvas scraped enough to use again next week when we will be painting a fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment